Dental Cleanings & Checkups in Frisco
The eyes may be the window to the soul, but your smile speaks volumes. Keeping it healthy and bright will ensure that it is saying what you want it to say. Parklane Family Dentistry’s Frisco dentist will help you keep your smile bright and healthy with annual or bi-annual dental checkups and professional cleanings. Regular dental exams give us the opportunity to stop small issues from developing into large, expensive and often painful problems. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” and preventive dentistry is a prime example.
Getting your teeth cleaned professionally is a must at every stage of life. In the early years, it helps prevent cavities from forming. Later in life, professional cleanings keep your teeth healthy, and more importantly, they also keep gum disease at bay. Did you know that many older adults lose their teeth, not to decay, but to gum disease? It’s a silent thief that ruins your oral health without you being aware that damage is occurring.
A visit to Parklane Family Dentistry will help you maintain oral health and keep your teeth and gums functioning properly for a very long time. It makes sense to see the dentist before a problem develops. Do not wait until a visit is more or less mandatory due to the infection of the tooth or gums. With a thorough exam, we can prevent serious issues from cropping up and address any problems that are present.
Comprehensive Dental Exams
When you come to Parklane Family Dentistry for your comprehensive dental exam, we take the time to check with you about every aspect of your oral health. In addition to an in-depth examination of your teeth and gums, including digital x-rays, we also perform an oral cancer screening. This simple examination of your oral soft tissues (tongue, cheeks and lips) could save your life. Only about 20% of the average population has this important exam performed. Oral cancers affect about 50,000 people each year. Of those, approximately one person will die every day. What people often do not realize is that oral cancers have a very high cure rate if they are caught early.
The dental team at Parklane Family Dentistry is committed to providing excellent oral care to all our patients. If you are looking for a dental team that always has your best interests and oral health as a priority, contact us today. We want to keep you and your family members in optimal oral health.
Importance of Dental Cleanings
- Improve discoloration – Dental cleanings remove surface stains and polish your teeth so they look whiter and brighter. A dental cleaning is a good way to preserve the results of a professional teeth whitening treatment before getting a touch-up.
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup – When you don’t properly brush and floss regularly, you’ll get a buildup of plaque on your teeth which can harden into tartar and increase your risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Plaque can be difficult to remove yourself and tartar must be professionally removed.
- Reduce your risk of gum disease – Through checkups and cleanings, we can detect gum disease early enough that it’s still reversible. When you leave gum disease untreated, it leads to irreversible periodontitis and can cause tooth loss. Thankfully, gingivitis can be reversed with a simple dental cleaning.
- Save money & time – By taking preventative measures to protect the health of your teeth and gums, you reduce your risk of getting tooth decay and gum disease.This ultimately saves you time and money on complex dental treatments such as root canals, extractions, or dental implants. Preserving the health of your teeth is better than replacing or restoring them.
- Improve your overall health – Your oral health is connected to your overall health. By investing in your oral health, you reduce your risk of serious medical conditions. Gum disease is directly linked to an increased risk of diabetes, heart attack, heart disease, stroke, and rheumatoid arthritis.
What We Do During a Dental Cleaning/Checkup
During a checkup, we’ll conduct an oral exam and take x-rays of your mouth to look for signs of tooth decay, gum disease, or oral cancer. X-rays are typically taken every 3 years unless the dentist doesn’t have any dental records for you on file, or the dentist has detected an issue that they want to get a closer look at.
X-rays can reveal more information about what’s going on beneath the gums or within the teeth. A dentist may take x-rays to look for signs of dental trauma, gum disease, damaged pulp, or to see how teeth are sitting in the jaw.
During a dental cleaning, Dr. Parul Vashisht will use a scaler to scrape plaque and tartar from your gum line. Then, a high-powered toothbrush will be used to brush your teeth with gritty toothpaste. This thoroughly cleans and polishes your teeth.
Your teeth are then flossed to remove food particles and remnants of toothpaste. The cleaning is finished with a fluoride varnish that protects your teeth from tooth decay for the next 6 months. To schedule a dental cleaning or checkup with Dr. Parul Vashisht, contact us at Parklane Family Dentistry today.
1606 FM 423, Suite 200
Frisco, TX 75033
Mon: 9AM - 5PM
Wed: 8:30AM - 5PM
Thu: 9AM - 2PM
Fri: 8:30AM - 4PM
By Appointment Only